[libcaca] Re: Problem with myman and libcaca : bitmap2

Hi, and thanks for the feedback!

On Feb 2, 2008 2:38 AM, Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008, Ben Wiley Sittler wrote:
>
> > The biggest differences since the 0.7pre1 version is that it is much
> > quicker to build and the resulting executable is much smaller (by
> > almost a factor of 10!) If anyone can try it, I would love to hear of
> > your experiences.
>
>    I tried it and it's pretty enjoyable. I love the scrolling: at first
> I didn't understand that the bitmap mode was actually using libcaca,
> it's impressive! I wish to report two graphical issues I encountered:

Yes, there is also a different bitmap mode (CACACURSES_BITMAP=t
environement variable, possibly in conjunction with CACA_FONT=nil2)
that actually uses a libcaca bitmap rendering instead of libcaca
character output using block characters.

>  - the bitmap mode seems to have refresh bugs (Linux amd64 here) as can
>    be seen on http://zoy.org/~sam/myman-refresh-bug.png

Interesting! What fonts are you using? And is that using the X11 driver?

>  - when playing in the Linux console (or any output media that does not
>    have Unicode or latin1, I guess) the tiny dots are replaced with the
>    "o" character, making them indistinguishable from the power pellets
>    (except that the latter are flashing). This may be a libcaca issue,
>    though, in which case you know what to do, too :)

That is a known and longstanding MyMan bug actually. You can work
around it by using the '-r' or '-o' command-line options, or by
pressing the 'x' or 'o' keys during the game. Clearly I need to
improve the defaults in this case :)

-Ben