[libcaca] Re: the AAlib competition

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006, jylam@lnxscene.org wrote:
>
>> >    o  dithering modes:
>> >       We can already do all of this, except the extra random factor.
>>
>> Which can easily be added afterward. Not a big deal.
>
>    Well it means adding a function, which means an API change. So better
> think about it before.

I was talking about the technical side, it can be done after the screen is
renderered. But yes, that's an API change. You are quite well placed to
know the API changes every single hour. So not a big deal if it is done
very soon.

>> You mean text cursor ? (like good-old MSDOS's edit, or gpm in linux
>> console ?) that's quite straightforward as well, but we'll need to deal
>> with "real" cursor, then (thinking about X11, OpenGL, and win32 drivers
>> mostly).
>
>    Yeah, some drivers will need an emulated cursor. Not that difficult.

Not at all, we don't even need to hide text cursors, just add one, it'll
be hidden by the hardware one. Generic, easy.

>    It looks too much of a hassle to me anyway. The user can already
> see the mouse cursor, and if the programmer really wants a nice mouse
> cursor, he can blit a sprite or a canvas at the mouse coordinates. Maybe
> we could just think of something to hide the main cursor in drivers that
> support the feature.

Yes, that was my idea too, and it seems that's the best one. Just let the
user deal with the cursor, so we can forget the previous block, we just
add a function to hide hardware cursor, and that's it.

>> Negative rendering is easy to write, too, but I don't know if the
>> purpose
>> of lubcucul is to deal with graphical effects, that's users work.
>
>    We just have gamma for now. But the rest isn't very hard to do.

Ok. So as I said, brightness/contrast makes a point, we need this. Inverse
video is not our business, let the user code what he want.

>>Or maybe you have a clever idea :)
>
>    Or we can just hook something at the end of caca_get_event that
> hijacks keyboard events if the text widget is active.

Feel free. I prepare my pig ascii'z ;)

>> Maybe it's time we talk about this in a deeper way.
>
>    Indeed.

Thanks for the comment \o/

>    I see one interest in the Linux driver, which is that it does not
> require an extra library.

Do you ever saw *any* linux box without either slang, ncurses, X11, or
opengl library installed ? Even busybox and stuff like this embbed slang.
But if you code it, don't complain about my future hacky-hacks for hurd
consoles, my syllable drivers, the psp output, etc ;)

So, what do we do about embbeded font ?

--
Jean-Yves Lamoureux